Vichy Catalan

The rugged scenery and landscape of Caldes de Malavella in Cataluna, Spain has inspired visitors and health-seekers for millennia. Beneath this uniquely picturesque terrain are mineral water springs, none more famous than the legendary Vichy Catalan. The photo below looks toward the nearby city of Girona.

The Roman legions, ever on the prowl for curative baths and spas, discovered a real winner in the rocky Spanish area south of the Pyrenees near the French border. It was special enough that they dug in, dug down, and built up an entire system of baths and recuperative facilities. The remnants of those ancient spas remain today as a tribute to Vichy Catalan, pictured here, which has been legendary among European mineral waters ever since.

Fast-forward through the centuries to the modern origin of the now internationally famous brand. The first few decades of its modern history begin in 1852, when Doctor Modest Furest y Roca, trained in medicine and surgery at the University of Barcelona, got involved. He was responsible for connecting the most advanced scientific thinking of his time with the mystique surrounding the ancient waters of Caldes de Malavella. In 1880-81 he purchased the property that included the renown thermal springs. Within a few years, his aim of building a "modern" spa establishment became a reality. The waters were declared a public utility by Royal Order in 1883, and their use in bottled form was registered.

Much modernization has transpired since the 19th century, but the two photos below which are nearly a hundred years apart testify to the brand's continuity and pedigree.

In 1990, Grupo Vichy Catalan was created, consisting of the companies S.A. Vichy Catalan and Malavella S.A, both located in Caldes de Malavella (Girona). Vichy had the distinction of being selected as the water for the XXVth Olympic Games at Barcelona in 1992.

With an astonishing 3,052 milligrams per liter of Total Dissolved Solids, there's nothing by way of minerals and salts missing in Vichy - except Nitrates, which are splendidly near ZERO. You get plenty of Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Bicarbonate, Fluoride, and Silica in this medicinal potion. Silica, for example, is at 76.8 mg/l, typical of all the other high levels
Water In The News...

Fine Water Summit 2015...Los Angeles
The Fine Water Society hosted the 2015 Water Summit, held at the Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel in BeverlyHills, April 8th-10th. The event, considered a huge success, was attended by brands, distributors, industryexperts, and water enthusiasts alike. Where else will you find a water sommelier and a mixologist able todiscuss the benefits of using "fine water" in your crafted ice? Water from almost 20 countries were represented. A few images are shown below.

Brett Spitalny of Aqua Maestro presenting (left). Jan Bender of Iskilde and Dr Michael Mascha of Fine Waters (right).

Dinner and a water tasting at the famous Rays and Stark Bar (left) Martin Riese and Michael Mascha (right)


How to taste water, according to Martin Riese
/ Recently interviewed by Blouin Media, and published in their Blouin Artinfo, Culture and Travel, online magazine, Martin Riese describes "everything you need to know about tasting water...and more." We have discussed our connection to Martin before, working closely with him and providing brands for the water menu he created at the Patina Group. This interview delves deeply into the "whys, how's and whatnots" of tasting water. If you are a water enthusiast, it makes for very good reading. Take a look for yourself, here.

Bottled Water Drove Beverage Market
Growth in 2014
The U.S. market for liquid refreshment beverages grew in 2014 after being basically flat in 2013, according to the Beverage Marketing Corp. (B.M.C.), an industry market research company. The B.M.C. said bottled water “had a remarkable year” and added that aggressive pricing in the category grew volume during the year by 7.3%.

Bottled Water Reps Urge National Park
Service To End Ban
 In a letter recently delivered to the National Park Service (NPS), more than 260 bottled water industry representatives from across the U.S. urged NPS to end the ban on the sale of bottled water in several of its national park units.

The letter also asked the NPS to “provide an opportunity for meaningful dialog between [the bottled water] industry and the NPS in order to work together to ensure the health, wellness and safety of visitors to the national parks.

The representatives also noted that the ban on the sale of bottled water in parks is difficult to “reconcile with the NPS’ 'Healthy Parks Healthy People' initiative, and its efforts to encourage more healthy food and beverage choices in the parks.”

Believe It Or Not

An Edible Water Bottle?

It's a squishy blob of water in gel. Called Ooho, these H2O orbs are servings of water encased in an algae-based gel....and totally edible. The creators of Ooho are three London-based industrial design students who, influenced by molecular gastronomy (a method of cooking that merges scientific methods) the team set out to create a viable way to deal with the fact that over 80% of all water bottles arenРІР‚в„ўt recycled. While there are still a lot of kinks to work out, such as how do you keep Ooho clean and sanitary before consumption, but in due time, you may be popping a couple of Ooho's when you find yourself thirsty.

For Pet Lovers Only

On The Lighter Side...
As Opposed To Selling Unclean Tap Water?

Nearly one-half of the water used by Americans is used for thermoelectric power generation.

There are approximately one million miles of water pipeline and aqueducts in the United States and Canada, enough to circle Earth 40 times.

Water makes up about 71% of the Earth's surface, while the other 29% consists of continents and islands.

Only 3% of the water on earth is considered fresh water, suitable for drinking. The other 97% is salt water, and not considered suitable.

An elephant's trunk can hold 2.5 gallons of water.